Friday, May 17, 2013

Last Dance.

Tonight is Parkland's Commencement Ceremony.  The keynote will be given by Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, Leonard Pitts.

Even though I don't work directly with Parkland's credit-earning students, I usually "walk" in the ceremony with my faculty colleagues, wearing our caps and gowns.  And every time I do, I'm touched by the power of the event.  Our community college graduates often are first-generation college students.  The event center is packed to the rafters with families and friends (and lots of crying babies).

After the ceremony, a few of us, including the college president, will head over to a local bar and raise our glasses to another successful year.

This will be my last graduation at Parkland.

Here's to what's next.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment