Friday, April 26, 2013

Matzo Redux.





I'm 60 years old.  I'll be 61 years old when I move back to my hometown, Kansas City.  I grew up Jewish. I am Jewish.  Went to Sunday School.  Did not have a Bat Mitzvah.  I don't speak or read Hebrew.  As of 2013, I have never visited Israel.

I do not keep Kosher.  I do not belong to a synagogue.  Most of my friends are not Jewish (not by intention).

So why am I now seriously considering joining a synagogue when I return to Kansas City?  Perhaps it has something to do with losing my parents and, sooner rather than later, losing the last of my dear aunts and uncles.  They are the ones who made me feel Jewish.

When I was a kid, we celebrated Passover, Yom Kippur, Hanukah.  What I remember most is the food (no surprise for anyone who knows me).  But I also remember family.  It was always about family.  Even with screaming, nagging, teasing, it was still family.

I miss that.  Maybe it's time to create a new family or build on the wonderful one I have had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment